Mississippi State University, located 30 miles from Louisville, has special strengths in engineering, business and management, forestry and wood products, and agriculture. A major component of its mission as a land-grant institution is to extend the expertise of its faculty to businesses and industries across the state. Nine entities within the university provide valuable outreach services:
- Industrial Outreach Service
- Office of Technology Commercialization
- Center for Advanced Vehicular Systems
- Industrial Assessment Center
- MSU Extension Service
- Institute for Clean Energy Technology
- Research and Curriculum Unit for Workforce Development
- Resource Referral Center of the Technology Resource Institute
- Small Business Development Center
Of particular interest to entrepreneurs and start-up businesses is the Women’s Center for Entrepreneurship operated by the Mississippi University for Women in Columbus. The Center offers training, support, counseling, and resources for existing businesses and start-ups. Although the Center focuses on women and other underserved entrepreneurs, it is a valuable resource for any entrepreneurial venture or start-up business.
Other state universities offer industrial outreach programs as well, particularly the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg and the University of Mississippi (“Ole Miss”) in Oxford, Mississippi.