Whether you come for business or pleasure, you’re sure to enjoy Winston County. There’s lot to see and do, great places to stay, unique shops, and restaurants with a range of tasty offerings.
A very active Chamber of Commerce and strong community spirit keep things stirring in Winston County. Residents and visitors alike enjoy
- the annual Red Hills Festival and Car Show in Louisville
- the Cotton Gin Festival and Car Show in Noxapater
- the unique Stew Stomp on Veteran’s Day weekend
- parades on the Fourth of July, Veteran’s Day
- Christmas Parade
- the Catfish Opry in Noxapater, which has achieved national fame for the entertainment and food it serves up every Friday night.
Shopping and Dining
Visitors enjoy wandering the streets of downtown Louisville in search of treasures. Traditional businesses are interspersed with specialty shops offering a range of wares from clothing to crafts. Art and artifacts by local craftsmen and artists are displayed regularly. When you’ve had enough shopping, you’ll enjoy relaxing in one of nearly 20 restaurants offering everything from Southern comfort foods to international cuisines.
Culture and History
Winston County is steeped in history. Some of the sites are
- the Nanih Waiya Historical Site, the legendary birthplace of the Choctaw Indian nation and a sacred mound of the Choctaw culture
- the American Heritage Fire Museum, which houses a collection of antique fire engines and equipment
- Louisville’s historic district, where you can spend a pleasant afternoon strolling amid beautiful antebellum homes dating from the mid-1800s.
- See more historical sites
Hotels operated by several national chains as well as a lakeside resort on Lake Tiak O’Khata provide comfortable lodging options. For a more rustic lodging experience, cabins are available at nearby Legion State Park. Read more about where to stay in Winston County.
For those who love the great outdoors, Winston County offers unparalleled opportunities:
- The 48,000-acre Noxubee Wildlife Refuge just north of Louisville is a national treasure with its blend of beautiful woodlands and lakes and its wide array of wildlife.
- Legion State Park offers a visitor’s center, playground, cabins, trails, picnic areas, camping areas, and a lake.
- In Louisville, Ivy Park provides ball fields, tennis courts, and a walking track.
- In Noxapater, the J.W. Young/Mollie Estes Park features a unique arboretum and a teaching area for forestry.
Come to Winston County — it’ll be a treat for you, your family, and friends! Visit the outdoor recreation page for more information about these and more tourism opportunities.
Mississippi Recreation and Events
Visit the state of Mississippi Tourism website for more information about recreational opportunities and events in Winston County and throughout Mississippi.