MS Highway MS Highway 25 - 4ln US Highway - 4ln
Highways and Interstates
Winston County is served by a network of state highways connecting to other destinations within the state and to major interstate and international transportation corridors.
- Mississippi Route 25 , a major four-lane divided highway, provides access to Jackson to the southwest (93 miles) and to Starkville , Columbus , and Tupelo to the northeast.
- Interchanges for Interstates 20 and 55 are within 65 miles of Louisville, the county seat.
- Seven motor freight carriers serve industries in the county, with connections to important markets and transportation hubs in Memphis, Tennessee; Jackson, Mississippi; and New Orleans, Louisiana.
Rail cargo services are accessible via Kansas City Southern Railway (KCS), operating over lines owned by MidSouth Rail Corporation, with connections to all major domestic markets and export facilities. Rail spurs connect to industrial sites in the county, and daily switching services are provided in Louisville. The city of Louisville operates a community transload rail facility to serve the local rail needs of business without running rail spurs.
Air transportation is available via general aviation and commercial airlines at three airports in the vicinity. GTR is accessible by four-lane state highways 25 and 82 while the Jackson-Evers International Airport can be reached directly by MS Hwy 25.
- Louisville Municipal Airport , with its 4,519-foot runway and a wide range of services for general aviation
- Golden Triangle Regional Airport (GTR) near Columbus, Mississippi (50 miles from Louisville), served by Delta with connections through Memphis and Atlanta
- Jackson-Evers International Airport , 93 miles southeast of Louisville, served by Delta, Northwest, Continental, American Eagle, US Airways, and Southwest Airlines
- Two major railways operate main lines and full-service intermodal yards within 10 minutes of the airport, and the Port of Vicksburg on the Mississippi River is only 35 miles away
- Six integrated cargo carriers provide service at the Jackson airport
- FedEx world headquarters at Memphis International Airport , accessible by state highways and Interstate 55, provides Winston County industries another option for expedited cargo service.
The Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway provides access to a number of public ports and terminals in the region. With a channel depth of 9 feet and an average width of 300 feet, it serves deep water ports on the Gulf of Mexico at Biloxi, Mississippi, and Mobile, Alabama. The Lowndes County Port facility near Columbus, Mississippi (55 miles northeast of Louisville) is readily accessible by truck and rail.
Driving Distances to Major Markets From Louisville
|Baton Rouge, LA||272|
|New Orleans, LA||283|
|Little Rock, AR||319|
|St. Louis, MO||467|